Thursday, August 28, 2008

Michelle Obama and What Would It Be Like to Be First Lady

For some reason I have never really cared for Michelle Obama and I am not sure why. David came home the other night and asked if I had seen her speech. I had not. He tells me that I might like her more after the speech. Really, I am skeptical. I am a cynic and pessimistic and I always think they just say what I want to hear but do they really mean it. The next day I decided to see what she was talking about so I watched it. I have to say she was good. It did make me like her a little more. I think her and her husband are wonderful speakers. They know just what to say. I am not sure if that is them or a great team of people, probably both. They always know what to say to address situations and make it work for them.

The thing though that I really started to think about is what did she say when he came to her and said I want to be President. Did she say no way you are crazy we have young kids or did she say that would be great. I cannot remember if she has ever talked about this before. I think I cannot even hardly get it together to raise my two children, be a wife, plan Girl Scouts, and have a little bit of my own life. I cannot imagine wanting to add First Lady onto that. I thought of the kids and how does that work out. I know that have a lot of help but still. I remember how much they picked on Chelsea in her awkward years. She seems to have turned out ok even though she had to endure a lot in her young life. Can you imagine constantly seeing your parents being ripped apart all the time in the press. I think of Obama's children and how young they are. Would it be a good life or difficult? Can you imagine if your kids started acting up on stage, it is bad enough in a grocery store. If he is President would Michelle lose her identity as the First Lady or do you gain one? I think she is very brave to do all this. I cannot imagine giving a speech at the Democratic Convention where the Democrats are probably putting so much pressure on you to be amazing and the Republicans are waiting for you to mess up. In fact that goes for both parties all the time. As the wife they are just waiting for you to do something to pounce on. They don't just make personal attacks about the one ruining but about their family also. I don't think I could take this. I cannot stand all the attacks on each other. I have to say these women must be very strong. I think of Hilary too, some like her some don't but when it comes down to it she was a wife who was cheated on and a mother of a daughter who people often made fun of. They slammed Hilary all the time and she had to endure all this in the public eye. Not my idea of a good time how do you think you would handle all of this?

No comments: