So I don't talk politics to often, only with my husband, because it can turn into a very heated debate. The thing is this is not completely a political issue. The thing I hate is when someone gets on their high horse about how they stand for morality and family and then turn around and cheat on their spouse. I say spouse because I do not want to exclude women, they do cheat too. I don't like preachy people to begin with. We all get up on our soap box every now and then about something, that is fine. It is the people who feel the need to tell me what to do all the time and then they don't live up to it. I don't like it when they live up to it either, but that is beside the point. The other thing that I hate is after they cheat and the get caught they make their spouse stand up there with them as they announce it. So not only did you cheat but know you make the person stand up there and be humiliated even farther. I liked John Edwards, although he always seemed a little to perfect. No ones perfect. I do like that he is standing up and saying basically that he is a jerk and is taking full responsibility and that in his interview that I saw he did not make his wife sit there. Yes I know he should say that but so many don't. It seems like they are to busy trying to save face and are not as honest as he was. This does not excuse what he did.
On the other hand.
Why is it our business that he had an affair? Why do we need to know? Supposedly he told his wife several years ago and they dealt with it. I read an article that said his career is over. Why? Other politicians and high power figures are doing just fine after having an affair as long as they did not do anything illegal along with it. So why would they say that about him. My husband thinks it is because his wife has cancer. So the public goes along with it unless the spouse is sick? Kind of reminds me of how we go along with violence in movies until there is a child or animal involved and then we think it went to far. The thing I learned a long time ago is that people can be very different at work then they are at home. Some of the most successful people are terrible at relationships. I am not saying that I think cheating is good. It is bad but my understanding is it is not illegal and really none of our business. It is between the two of them and should have nothing to do with us. I did read some very fascinating articles that would tell me otherwise but it was not enough to convince me. I am not sure it would be the soul factor in determining my vote. If that was the only thing that I could find that I did not like about someone I might still vote for them. I am still not sure John McCain did not have an affair. The article made it sound like it was unclear for sure when he separated from his first wife and got together with his current wife. I don't know, I have not really looked into it farther because is that going to impact how he does as president? I don't think that cheating on your wife has anything to do with education, foreign policy, the economy, or global warming. The only way it would interfere is if it was distracting him currently. I hope no one takes this wrong I don't think cheating should be taken lightly but I also am really tired of it taking up the news when I think other things are more important. I know we all have different opinions, just my thoughts.
On a side note I do love the blog because although I have my opinions I love to hear things from different points of views. Sometimes it even makes me think about something in a way I never did before and I have been known to change my mind. I am independent, probably because I could not make up my mind at 18. See several posts ago when I said that I am indecisive. I guess I tend to lean Democrat but I do vote for Republicans also. I often seem to be surrounded by more Democrats so I will find myself listening to republican radio or talk shows just to get a different view. It is funny how sometimes the sides are not that far off from each other it is just the extremists or the media that make it seem so. I know there are several key issues that make a big difference between the two but I think in general we all care about similar things we just have different ways of going about it. At least this is what I would like to believe and hope is true.



I agree that these personal issues with the politicians should be just that - personal. I think where John Edwards went wrong is he lied about it when the press found out. That bugs me. He knew they wouldn't let it drop, so what was lying going to get him. Then it becomes a whole honesty thing.
I wondered whether the stress of this affair brought back her cancer. The timing is suspicious.
I do think we expect perfection and it is an impossible expectation. But, in today's environment of sensational media, I would think these people would know they aren't going to get away with much!
I do agree the lying part does bug me. I also agree that if I were in the spotlight all the time I think I would try to me on my best behavior. They always get caught so you think someone would learn by now. I heard John Edwards say that he just felt on top of the world and did not think it through and did not think anyone would know. He is in the public eye how would no one find out? It makes me mad the more I think about it but I still go back to it is really none of my business. Also maybe he was lying to protect his family from all the media attention they are getting now. Of course he should have thought about that before he had the affair. He did let a lot of people down and that is really sad. It would be nice for just once to have a politician get up there and be upfront and honest, although maybe no one would vote for them.
I am furious with John Edwards, but not because of his affair. I think that is between he and his wife. I'm mad because he only told the truth when the press got wind of this story. I have become such a cynic. My husband tells me so everyday. I don't feel like anyone has the good of the country in mind anymore, just how they can benefit. Makes me sad, and angry especially in this type of economy.