Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Palin

I blogged not long ago about the Vice Presidents and in it I mentioned that Palin has a lot on her plate and I don't think I would put my kids in the same position as she did. I blogged about it because as I saw her children on stage and in the media so much lately it bugged me. It made me kind of angry and I thought at first it was because she put them in this position. After I blogged about it I started to think why did it bother me so much. I do not have anything against Mom's working. I think it is great when a Dad wants to stay home and take care of his kids and the women works. I would never want my girls to think that I am someone who thinks women have to stay home and raise their children. So if this part did not bug me, what was it. Was it because her kids were plastered across TV and made to stand up in front of everyone, especially her pregnant daughter. I realized this was not it because maybe her daughter said go for it Mom I will stand up there and take whatever I have to because I want you to do this. This is a private choice for them and I hope it was a family decision and they did think about the fact that they would be changing their young kids lives. It is their decision and should not have any impact on what you think of her as a possible vice president. So then what bugged me so much really. I think it is that the media and both sides made such a huge deal of the child with down syndrome and the child that is pregnant. The said mean things, made up stories, and plastered them all over the TV and newspapers. In some ways they had to see this coming because that is how our media is. So in some ways I do wonder if they really considered all this before she agreed. The thing is I believe in free speech but there is a point when it is not free speech and it is just mean and vindictive. When it boarders on breaching someones privacy I am not for that. I do not like the attacks that both sides do and I do not like when the media drags kids into their stories just to get a good story.

3 comments:

Laura said...

In regards to Sarah Palin, it would be nice if the media were to leave her family alone. I think we all get that her daughter is pregnant and do not need to keep hearing it. I hope that she doesn't get married for the sake of the race! But, the Palins had to know that all of this would come out - and some made up stuff. Hopefully, they are letting it roll of their backs....

When I was in CA, we got USA Today and one of the letters to the editor really offered some words of support for Bristol. It was Suzanne Somers - who had a child when she was really young also. It was a really nice letter and told her to hang in there!

As far as her working while being a mom, I miss working sometimes, so I can totally understand someone's desire to do both. I know I worked a minimum of 65-70 hours per week, with a lot of travel, when I worked and when Tommy was born, I just knew I would never see him if I continued with that particular career path. I think that is how I feel about her with the VP job. I am more concerned about her lack of knowledge with foreign policy and I just can't picture her as President. Just can't do it. The debates will be really important...!



Jilene said...

I cannot see Palin being Vice President or President. The more I watch her the less I like her. I really do like John McCain and was kind of split but I think it will be Obama all the way for me now.

Laura said...

Did you catch Palin on the 20/20 interview. I think it was 20/20 - the one with Charlie Gibson, who you could tell really doesn't like her. Anyway, I think she held her own under pretty tough questioning.

I really want to see the debates. I think they will be very interesting.

I did read an article on her that was about the time her baby was born. Very, very strange. About how no one could have suspected she was pregnant. I guess she announced it at 7 months and you couldn't even tell, even though this was her 5th child. And how her daughter at the same time was out of school for a couple months with mono. It was interesting. I am sure it is the media making up coincidences, but it really made you think.....

Who knows what is really up with any of these people! I hate to be so cynical, but with politics, it's hard not to...

No comments: