Saturday, November 15, 2008

Signs

Driving from my parents house the other day I noticed many things.

First political signs. Do these really do any good and I feel like there are so many all over. It might be ok if they were only around every four years but where I live it seems like there are always signs up for some kind of election. I don't like them.
It seems like there were foreclosure signs on every corner. Our Realtor told us that 2/3 of the house here are either foreclosures of short sells. Wow!
I also saw a going out of business sign on every corner. I cannot believe how many stores are closing. It is very nerve racking to drive home.
Besides the Campaign signs the other things I don't like to see is Christmas lights put up right after Halloween. Why do we skip Thanksgiving. I know there are no great outside decorations for Thanksgiving but come on putting them up the day after Halloween. I love Christmas just as much as everyone else and the day after Thanksgiving mine will go up but not before.




I thought this was kind of interesting. Look at the next two pictures and see what you notice.

Both pictures are the same jacket from the same company out of their catalogs. The interesting part it the top pictures with the younger model was the catalog sent to my house and the second picture with the older model was sent to my mom's house. There is not a single women with gray hair in my catalog and in her catalog at least half the models had gray hair. Do they really have our ages and sent these catalogs out specifically? Interesting.


The reason I even noticed this was I wanted to get a winter coat for me. I have not bought a heavy winter coat since I was 14 or 15. So it has been awhile. I just wanted to get a simple casual coat. I opened up my Lands End catalog and picked something.I thought it was cute, casual, and would be warm. So I called my cousin to ask her what she thought. She did not have a catalog and so this is what she saw.
She forbid me from wearing this coat and said it would make me old before my time. I admit it did not look as good online. If you are wondering here is the same coat in my Mom's catalog.
I have to admit I liked it even less in this last picture. It is amazing to me how different the same coat can look depending on how it is shot and I guess the model. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I don't like the last one because she is older but they do have it on her different. Marketing, very interesting or maybe cleaver, I don't know.

Make sure to vote on the poll on my other blog regarding this last part.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Interesting. I did not know they did that. I will need to notice if things come to my house with models with gray hair. Yikes! But I guess I am getting there.

I think it is very hard to dress for someone my age. Either things look too young or too old. I just go with what I like and try to have a variety for what I feel like wearing that day.

I don't know if it is our area but I haven't noticed any foreclosure signs. We are in an established neighborhood and maybe that makes a difference. I know some stores are going out of business, but I think the big ones that are had the writing on the wall for them far before this last economic downturn. This downturn was just the nail in the coffin. I am surprised Circuit City made it as long as they did. The one I hope does not fold is ToysRus. They have had issues and I hope they make it because if they don't, there won't be one place left to get such a wide variety of toys in one place.

And I think there should be an enforced law for taking the political signs down. You should need a permit to put it up and if you don't take it down within 10 days of the election, you should be fined heavily. But, no one asked me :)

Amy said...

haha - You're allowed to pick your own coat! I'm just trying to offer my extra years of being a winter coat wearer to aid you in making a choice that is practical, warm, machine washable, but still cute and fun for you!! If you're gonna freeze you might as well look good doing it : )

It is a little unnerving how they market to their audience like that. Perhaps I have underestimated the craftiness of Lands Ends...I wonder who else does this? I should start comparing my catalogs to my Mom's...