Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Is this offensive or all in good spirit of Thanksgiving?

I am interested in people views on this story.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Okay so do children that young really need to know all of our country's horror stories? Can't they still believe in peace and harmony among all people? And, can't they practice the act of friendship and learning from others that may be different from you?

By reinacting it in a spirit of friendship and thanksgiving aren't they learning the right way to treat people differently than themselves or just the right way to treat people in general?

They have plenty of time to grow up and learn the nitty gritty of the nations actual history and develop their own thoughts and stance around it. They don't need to be fed their parent's one sided views and bitterness at this age. Do they?

So instead of learning the current spirit of Thanksgiving by reinacting the fairy tale of two nations getting together to share their heritage and create friendship they learned what?

Jilene said...

Very nicely said, in my opinion.

Laura said...

I agree with Amy! And nicely said!

I wish people could stay with the same openness as they have as kids. I remember when Barack Obama was voted in as president and Tommy couldn't understand what they meant by the first African American president. We talked to him about it and he truly had no awareness about the color of his skin. He hadn't even noticed. He doesn't need to learn all the history right now, but I hope when he does, there continues to be that part of him that still doesn't notice.

I believe it is when other people's prejudices get vocalized that the minds of kids change. Oftentimes parents!

I get tired of all the PC things. Our history is our history. Let's learn the good and the bad at appropriate times and then just be better people for it!

Michelle said...

I don't always know when it is appropriate to have discussions about people's perceived differences. Chloe and I have had a lot more this year than ever before.

It all started when we were at Chik-fil-a for lunch one day this summer and someone told her she was Black. Because we had never discussed this in our house before (didn't really see the need)she replied "no I'm not, I'm Brown." If you've ever been put in this position before usually the other person is thinking you're ashamed of your heritage or you think you're better than they are. So began our discussions about race, color and some of our country's history of social injustices.

I have tried to keep it simple and in a positive light but my husband totally disagrees with me and thinks these topics are inappropriate for a 6 year old. I don't always want to discuss such things but I would rather have her hear it from me than risk her hearing it from the kids at school that also told her Obama is a baby killer and wants to get rid of the military. My little girl doesn't always look at people with the same innocence she once did. It makes me sad. I wonder how long these discussions would have been held off had we not gone to Chik-fil-a that day?