Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Story To Make You Angry and Sad

I just read a story on AZ Central that makes me sick. An eight year old girl was lured with chewing gum to a shed where four boys attacked her and raped her. Her parents, who are from Africa, shunned her. They told authorities to keep her that she had shamed their family. WHAT!!!! I have heard this before that many cultures blame the women. This is terrible. She is an eight year old girl who was attacked and her parents have sent her away as easily as they would their garbage. Shame on those parents and they should also be prosecuted, in my mind, for abandonment. Now my ranting in done but I really don't feel better.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I did see this and the whole situation is just so sad.

I think we were watching So You Think You Can Dance when they did a promo for this. I was watching with Thomas and I must admit that I hate when they put explicit promos on shows that young kids often watch. Thomas looked at me - he really related to the age element of the story. He asked what that all meant. He's just way to young to be exposed to that.

My whole point being that she was way to young to be exposed to it also.

So sad and I agree with you about the parents. Culture or not, I just couldn't imagine being that way.

Jilene said...

I just saw it again on the MSNBC website and it made me mad all over again. You are right Laura they are to young. Ainlsey is very close to this age also and I think she has no idea what it all means. In fact she does not even know what sex is yet. We have had conversations that have been about babies and a little about how they are made but not to that detail and she also has no idea what it means to be seductive. So I do not understand how parents can blame their eight year old girl. The other thing that gets me, even if it was an older girl who knew about all this. Rape is an act of violence and I just don't get people who blame the girl for it. She was an innocent victim in this but she will never feel like that. She probably will grow up thinking it is her fault. Ok I will stop now. This whole story just really has gotten me irritated.