Thursday, March 19, 2009

Makes You Stop To Think.....

...how precious life is and how you never know what tomorrow will bring. This made me so sad this week. It was heart breaking to me. The strange thing is if you would have asked me who Natasha Richardson was last week I would not have know. I now I have seen her in movies but really never knew her name or who she was married to. It was not until this week that I knew anything about her. Why is it so upsetting to me then? I think because she is a mother and wife and fairly young and it was such a freak accident. Everyone has had such wonderful things to say about this women and she is obviously beautiful. Maybe it also got to me because she was taking ski lessons. Soon myself, David, Ainsley, and Abby will all be doing the same thing. The first response is to say skiing is so dangerous. The thing is head injuries can happen anywhere. You can trip and fall and have the same thing happen. I cannot tell you the countless time I have hit my head hard and stopped and wondered for a minute how bad that was. My kids have hit their heads countless times. Some that I have come close to tears because they hit so hard it scarred me beyond belief. I have only once taken Ainsley in for hitting her head. When we got there they kind of blew us off. By then it had been several hours and she was acting fine. There has been a lot in the news lately about head injuries after her accident and many, like Natasha can act fine for awhile and then go down hill fast. Although more then likely most are fine, I hear a story several times a year about someone dying after heating their head. I try to put it out of my mind and try not to be a hypochondriac about things but after hearing these things it makes you more paranoid. I wonder how many more people will go in for hitting there head, at least for a while, after this. Regardless it is very sad for her family and I feel for those two boys of hers.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is a beautiful picture of her, Jilene. I hadn't seen this one.

Life is certainly short and can turn on a dime. I so wish she had gotten medical help - or accepted medical help. Hopefully, at least that message will be learned through this tragedy.

I know what you mean about hitting your head. When Thomas was a baby/toddler, he used to smack his head on our hard tile and I would really worry that he was going to hurt himself. Luckily, his head was hard enough to handle that, I guess. But, I will be more aware in the future about head injuries.

My thoughts go out to her family. It seemed like she had a great family - unusual in the world of celebs. I feel bad for her boys. She was pretty darn young to have this happen. It's too bad.....